6 oz. Ground Beef
1 tsp. Soy Sauce
2 tsps. Cornstarch
1 Cup Water
1/2 tsp. Sesame Oil
1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
1 tsp. Minced Garlic
1 tsp. Hot Bean Paste
1/4 tsp. Ground Sichuan Peppercorns, Toasted
1/4 cup Chopped Water Chestnuts
2 green Onions, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 package (14-ounces) Soft Tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1. Pour enough warm water over the mushrooms in a small bowl to cover them completely.
Soak until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain. Discard the stem and chop the caps coarsely.
2. Marinate the pork: Stir the ground pork, soy sauce and cornstarch together until evenly
3. Prepare the sauce: Stir the water, soy sauce and sesame oil together in a small bowl.
4. Heat a wok over high heat until hot. Add the oil and swirl to coat the sides. Add the garlic
and stir- fry until fragrant about 20 seconds. Add the pork, hot bean paste and peppercorns
and stir-fry until the pork is crumbly, 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Pour the sauce into the wok, then stir in the water chestnuts and green onions. Slide the
tofu into the wok, and stir gently to coat the tofu with the sauce and heat through, 2-4
6. Pour in the dissolved cornstarch and cook gently, stirring, until the sauce thickens, about 1
minute. Spoon the tofu and sauce onto a serving platter and serve hot.
Makes: 4 servings
Adapted from Martin Yan’s Cooking At Home (Wan Li Book Co., Ltd.)
Copyright Yan Can Cook Group 2005