Miso Cod Ramen
This light, savory ramen allows the cod to be the star of the dish.
Inspired by Miso Black Cod, the marinade is packed with delicious umami flavor.
For the Cod Marinade:
1 Tbsp White Miso Paste
2 Tsp Mirin
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2.5 cm (1 inch) piece of Ginger,
peeled and grated
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
For the Ramen:
4 Cod Fillets
3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
7.1 oz Soba Noodles (or Japanese Style Noodles)
7.0 Pak or Bok Choi
2 Cups Vegetable Stock
2 Tsp Light Soy Sauce
1 Tsp Oyster Sauce
1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
2 Spring Onions, finely sliced
12 pieces of Menma (pickled bamboo shoots)
1 Tbsp Chili Oil, to taste
Recipe Type: Ramen
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
(1) Place the marinade ingredients in a wide, shallow bowl and stir
to combine. Add the cod fillets and coat well, then cover and
leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
(2) Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan or wok over a
medium heat until hot and place the cod fillets, skin-side down,
into the pan.
(3) Pan-fry the fish for 2–3 minutes until the skin is golden brown,
then turn and cook for a further 2–3 minutes on the other side.
Transfer the fish to a plate and set aside.
(4) Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the noodles
according to the packet instructions, then set aside.
(5) Add the remaining oil to the wok and stir-fry the pak or
bok choi until it starts to wilt. Add the vegetable stock to the
wok with the soy, oyster and fish sauces and stir to heat through.
(6) Divide the noodles between two serving bowls and add the broth.
Top with the pak choi and cod, and garnish with the spring onions,
menma and a drizzle of chili oil, to taste.